Welcome Friend

Welcome Friend Just another frantic mama navigating the world of motherhood, wife life and all of the in-betweens.
I'm a boy mom and avid coffee drinker.
I love to cook, read + write.

First Birthday Party

Alexander turns ONE a week from today! Where does the time go? 



Who said it was okay to let me have a One-year-old. Seriously? 

So, when Nick and I first found out we were having a baby something we said we didn't want to do was a first birthday party. Why? Because, we had heard time and time again, it was solely for the parents. Up until October 1st, I agreed. 

Then I started planning. With Nick being gone, with so much having gone on - I just wanted a little distraction and what better way than to have a First Birthday party. Just as quickly as he has turned one - we can plan birthdays to follow but.. after some consideration.. I decided that there a myriad of reasons why you SHOULD have the birthday party. Even if it is just for the parents. 

Your baby is finally ONE!

This time last year you were stressing out about the fact that you were expecting. You have spent the last year tending to cries, fusses, yucky diapers, long nights and longer days. You changed outfits, you grew in size, you learned the value of patience and learned what amazing things a 20 minute nap can do for your body. You have stressfully and successfully reached a FULL YEAR of parenting. Kudos to you. 

You need the support. 

Alexander turning one means a lot more than it should. We had a rough year, much like most first time parents and even the most seasoned parents. The first year can, and most likely will, be difficult. You may be gun-ho about your little one turning one because their fun - but you need your people to help you through the day. It isn't an easy one - you are going to miss the little cuddles as your, now, toddler pushes your face away when you try to kiss them. 

You get to clean your house. 

Face it, your house isn't as clean as it used to be before children. And even at its "cleanest" it still isn't where you would normally have it. What better reason to clean than the fact that you are having a party.. am I right? 

Cake. 

Cake tastes good, period. But you know what tastes much better than everyday cake.. celebratory birthday cake. And that's reason enough. 

Memories. 

Sure, they may not remember it.. But you will. And you will be able to tell them about it with the pictures that remind you of this day. You are entitled to those memories - you worked hard for those memories. I am also in the position where my husband isn't here to be apart of his first birthday - so these pictures and videos will serve as a way for him to partake in it the best way he can from so far away. (we miss you, honey)

and finally, LOVE. 

It may not be this way for everyone. But you are celebrating a year of loving someone, living for someone for an entire YEAR. Your dedication, your triumphs, your AHA moments, your frustrations and worries - all because of LOVE. Whether you celebrate in a big way with family and friends, or a small way with just family. Whether it be a cupcake or a photo shoot smash cake - you are doing this because of Love.. and that is reason enough. 

So go on celebrate that birthday - it only happens once but those memories, your love and what it means last forever. Besides, birthday cake. If you'll be looking for me on the day of his birthday, I'll be in his room crying with wine. 





44 comments

  1. Replies
    1. Ugh, yes they do! It's so crazy how fast it flew by!

      Delete
  2. Aww! It goes so fast, but it's comforting hitting a milestone, too! Love you, mama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A first birthday is definitely a milestone worth celebrating! And I like any excuse for cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The time goes by so quickly. My son is now 14, but I still remember this 1st like it was yesterday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw! How sweet! I can't wait to have that kind of memory years down the road!

      Delete
  5. aww this is so cute! Will you post some birthday photos? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I have my camera charging as is! :)

      Delete
  6. Aww! This is exciting! Do you have a theme or anything for the party?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He absolutely LOVES Elmo! So we're doing a Sesame Street theme!

      Delete
  7. Of course you should have a party, why not? And if it's mostly for the parents' enjoyment, so what, they deserve a celebration too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is so sweet! its amazing how babies grow so quickly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? I cannot believe how quickly time passes by.

      Delete
  9. It's so odd to think I have s one year old. They sure grow up too fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? It's like one minute we're finding out we are pregnant - the next we have a child that is a whole year old! <3

      Delete
  10. Those are great reasons to celebrate a baby's birthday,especially Love & Memories. I would take so many pictures and have them printed out to frame in the house (:.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the goal! My husband isn't home so it'd be a great photo album/scrapbook to put together for him!

      Delete
  11. They grow too fast! My boy is 6 months already and I have feeling like he is still couple of weeks. Definitely his first birthday party will be huge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Ah! I hope you post about it Katarzyna! I would love to see what you do!

      Delete
  12. How adorable! Time just flies all the time. Happy Birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. One was 14 years ago for our son but I remember it like it was yesterday. Happy Birthday to your sweeite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep reading that - its definitely true! 14 years ago! How precious! Thank you so much!

      Delete
  14. Yes, cake is definitely one of the perks of having a birthday party for your little ones! We celebrated my youngest daughter's 2nd birthday this past weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cake is the best! Lol, happy belated to your little sweetheart! <3

      Delete
  15. Aw so very sweet! They grow up fast don't they?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do!!! I can't believe how fast it goes by, I feel like it was gone in the blink of the eye!

      Delete
  16. I can remember when my daughter turned one. It was an exciting time for me but also very stressful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I can definitely sense the stress. I had a moment today about cupcakes lol, crisis averted though!

      Delete
  17. Love what you said about "they won't remember but you will." So true! A first birthday should be memorable and it looks like it was :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be! I can't wait :) Elmo all around!

      Delete
  18. A child turning one year old is definitely a very memorable event for the family. My family has always held one year old birthdays of importance. It is the official celebration of having him into this world and we simply want to celebrate it. :)

    xoxo, G
    http://moreliketwins.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ahh how adorable and happy birthday to your child!

    ReplyDelete