Welcome Friend

Welcome Friend Just another frantic mama navigating the world of motherhood, wife life and all of the in-betweens.
I'm a boy mom and avid coffee drinker.
I love to cook, read + write.

How I Met Your Father



How I Met Your Father :) 

I've always loved him. In fact, I'm pretty sure I fell in deep like the day I met him. See, I met Nick but he wasn't your father just yet. 



His smile. His sincerity. His devotion. His happiness. 
But.. he wasn't your father just yet. 

We spent a lot of time apart.. in fact, the majority of our relationship was apart. 
But.. he wasn't your father just yet. 




I'm reminding you that he wasn't your father because we didn't know about you. 
We hadn't quite earned that honor...yet.


The night before we stayed up talking with wine under the deepest of dark blue nights with a sky full of stars. We spoke about the past, the future, the now. We spoke about how things were changing so fast. How we were happy he was finally home, where we saw ourselves in 1 year, 5 years, 10 and 20 years. 

March 4, 2015

Anyone who knows me knows I'm superstitious, I read into signs that the world around me gives me. If it doesn't feel right, it's not happening. 

I was contemplating doing something completely different with my hair. Nick wanted to sleep so I took it as a sign that I should go. 
I got in the car, started it & sat there. Something wasn't sitting well. 

I drove to the hair salon, got out of the car and noticed the large number of people. 
I don't do  people. Sign number 2. 

I got back into the car & decided I was going to look up ping pong tables. 
Your dad ALWAYS talked about how he played ping pong in Afghanistan during his deployment & how much he loved it. SO .. the short of it was, I purchased it.  

I was being awkward, as per usual. & told him to get dressed and come outside. 
I drove around, talked a lot and waited for a confirmation email. 

I realized I had to pee. The more I thought about it, the more it bothered me. 
I started thinking and realized I should have gotten little lady flow up in this piece & hadn't yet. 

We get to Target, which is my safe haven as we all know. 
It happens to be near Dick's Sporting Goods which is WHY we were there to begin with. 

I purchase a pregnancy test because why the hell not. 



Paid. Peed. Waited. 

Two lines. 
k. 

Peed. Waited. Checked Instructions 6 and 7 times. 

Two lines. 
shit. 

Well, I guess so. I walk outside to see him standing there, eager to see what I was about to say. 
He says "so" .. I say "so" ... "yeah" - it was i n s t a n t. 

The smile you see right there. That's the smile.  He smiled SO hard. 
That's when he became your father.  

Most would say you're not a parent until the baby is here. 
Not everyone's baby gets to be here... wherever "here" is. 

So yes. He was a father and, I, your mother. 
high five.

We were THAT couple. You would have thought our team scored that's how excited we were. 
in retrospect this is a poor example because we did IN FACT .. score. ;)



I fell in love all over again, every day. Regardless of our fights, regardless of the insane amount of time we spent apart. 

I fell in with him - day in and day out. Just as I was supposed to. 

With his smile. With his laugh. With the way he hugged me. With the way he planned. 

See, now.. he was your father. 
He dreamt, he worked hard, he had plans, he made changes. 

In a matter of a few hours - we went from two people in love, married, homeowners & happy 
to 
two scared, happy, elated, nervous, parents to be.

And I couldn't have asked for a better partner in crime, a better father for you. 

That's How I Met Your Father.

3 comments